Friday, April 4, 2014

Palante!!! . . . but backwards

So, now that I'm starting to take this running thing seriously again I asked god, I mean Google, what I should be considering as I move forward.  Of course, I came across, several times, the most unheeded bit of advice; Don't get injured.  Google is wise.

I began to think about my previous injuries and remembered how shin splints was what hampered my training the most.  Searching for ways to strengthen my shins, since calves build up much faster, I came across this article on The Benefits of Running Backwards.  According to the article, the benefits of walking/running backwards are:
  • Training while injured
  • Improving muscular balance
  • Burning more calories
  • Improving leg speed and performance
  • Improve posture
  • Heightened senses
I'm gonna give it a try on the treadmill.  I'll start off walking since today is a rest day but who knows . . .
Maybe I'll start the race at the park and end it in Staten Island ;)



1 comment:

Tino said...

Kudos on picking up the running habit again. Not being a doctor, I'd say see if you can corroborate my next two suggestions. 1) every time (with myself and others around me) physical therapy was needed for whatever reason, one tactic was to build muscle of the neighboring areas: share the load. 2) aquatic therapy. Try walking in a shallow pool. Even better, try backward walking in a shallow pool. Water at mid-thigh sounds about right. Good Luck!!