Friday, March 16, 2007

Great Week . . . so far

Well, I've bounced back from last week quite well. I ran five miles on Tuesday for the first time, kind of. My bud Nick and I ran Pelham Parkway up to Stillwell and then out to the DMV on Fordham where he had some errand to take care of. That bit was 3.5 mi. and then I ran 1.5 mi. back home alone. The only problem with that run is that on my way back I began to feel the pull of the tractor beam emanating from the Golden Arches on Southern Boulevard and Fordham Road. So, after my Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit/Hash Brown pit stop at McDonald's I finished my run. I was surprised that I didn't cramp or feel any adverse effects to running right after consuming chicken embryos and swine. I guess that half an hour rule only apples to swimming.

That night I did a bit of hot yoga with me Kimmie in Astoria. I'm sure they had the room up to 110 degrees for that class. I did much better than last time and was able to hit quite few poses pretty well but towards the end I lost control of my breathing and felt a bit light headed. The yoga, especially hot yoga is a great way to keep loose for running. It also provides great new ways of stretching at home.

Yesterday, I ran 5.3 miles on Pelham Parkway in preparation for tomorrow's NYRR 8K in Central Park. I finished it in 49:34 for a 9:22 min/mi. I'm very excited about yesterday's run. Five miles is my first marker, ten miles is my next. Every week I'm adding a mile and I'm beginning to see the results of training.

Tomorrow's race is at 7:30am, the earliest I've ever run, and the forecast is calling for snow and freezing rain. I haven't run in those conditions yet and wonder how I will fair. I am looking forward to the challenge, I'm sure it will be fun. Its also my first run in Central Park.

Yesterday, me Kimmie picked up my number and chip for me, she kept the souvenir shirt, of course. I'm ready to go, I just have to make sure I get to bed early tonight which I never do. I'll report after the race.

1 comment:

Danny said...

good luck!

watch the hills. (try to keep the same energy going up and going down on the hills.)