Sunday, March 4, 2007

Follow Me To Coogan's


Girlfriend Kimberly woke up and made me waffles for my big race, while I showered and put on my jogging uniform. We took off to Washington Heights at about 7:30am for the 9:00am race. I was to meet my buddy Nick near the starting line at 168th street and Fort Washington Avenue but realized when I was halfway there that I forget my phone at home. Probably because I was so preoccupied in making sure that I didn't leave my race bib or ChampionChip behind.

When I reached the starting area I was relieved that there where banners that marked the different starting points for the different paces. At first I thought I would join the 9 min/mile pack but a few minutes before the race remembered that one of my students advised me to stay near the end at the start, so I joined the 11 min/milers.

When the race starts everyone started by walking to starting line, then the pace picked up to a very slow jog. By the time we reached the starting line I noticed that everyone was picking up a much faster pace than I expected. At first I was suckered into following their pace but then remembered another student's (Boyd Brown, look up his NYRRC accomplishments) advice, LSD: Long Slow Distance. So I backed off a bit and let them pass me.

Just before we hit the first mile marker I could begin to hear a chorus of huffing and panting ahead of me. At that point I knew that I was running the race I needed to. Soon after I began to see some of those that passed me slowing down or just walking. I hit the first mile marker at 9:33. Exactly the pace I wanted to run the whole race.

At one point over the second hill, I looked out ahead to all the runners below me and all those running up the next incline. I could see for about fifteen blocks. The street was swarmed with runners. I looked around me and felt like I was part of a herd, a stampede of humans. I noticed how together, we all had the same rhythm, like gazelles, just not as fast. It was an interesting sensation. Then I realized I better start passing people on this downhill while I could still use gravity to my benefit.

Shortly after the first mile marker we began to see the leaders doubling back on their way to the finish line. These gals and guys were incredible. They were speeding past us as we all cheered them on amazed by their ability. They would be finished with the race before most of us reached the halfway point.

We reached Fort Tryon and the lane began to narrow. It was harder to run since the crowd became compacted. Some guy was weaving through the crowd on a downhill and I followed him for as long as I could without becoming a nuisance to others. After passing the midway point I decided to slow it down since we were going up a hill. I ran behind some guy wearing the race t-shirt. I started to get a bit tired so I kept reading his shirt, "Follow me to Coogan's, Follow me to Coogan's" Coogan's bar on Broadway is the sponsor of the race. great advertising! I ran my second mile in 9:07, faster than my first and much faster than I thought I was going.

People were beginning to drop off in the last leg. You could tell some where hurting but kept going. The spectators were great and very supportive. The runners also helped each other out. It was infectious. "Only ten blocks left! Only eight blocks left!"

As I approached the third mile I was surprised that I had so much energy left, I guess the pasta the night before thing really does work. So, I decided to sprint the last five blocks. I didn't want to end the race with anything left. My final split was 8:21 and my official time was 27:36 an 8:54 mile pace.

I never thought running could be so much fun! Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K was a great race and I can't wait to do it again.

2 comments:

Danny said...

Congrats on a well run race! Your enthusiasm is also exciting.

I guess now you just have to come back next week for the 4 miler in Central Park.

KL said...

Hey, great!!!! Congratulations!!!!