Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm Finally Doing It!

For over a decade I have wanted to run the NYC Marathon. Every November I would be inspired to do so when I saw all the runners lining up at the start. Watching them finish is an even greater inspiration. After the race I promise myself I would train for the next year so that I could be part of that crowd of champions. Those incredible people that perservere through all types of obstacles; heat, wind, rain, pain, dehydration, weakness, suffering, doubt - to overcome all adversity and cross that line. Then, I forget. Next November comes around, I slap my palm on my forehead and start the cycle all over again.

Well this year my ADHD won't be getting the better of me. This year I have been reminded of this quest with ample time left to train. My colleague and temporary roomate Nick shared his intent with me a couple of nights ago to run the marathon this year. I paused for a while and thought 'jeez, I have more than enough time to train.' That was Feb. 13th. Yesterday, during Valentine Day dinner I told my lovely baby and gained her support. I know my family is always behind me and I beleive that The New York Road Runners Club can take me the rest of the way.

All of that, of course, relies on my ability to stay focused throughout the year. Focus is a skill that I forget often. But, I know that to finish this race it is the main attribute necessary. I know that to get to the race, it is the only thing. So, I'm posting my journey for all to see. Making this public record so that I can't lose focus. Not just so that I can reread my thoughts like a journal but to set my intetions off and running ahead of me on their own marathon. That way I can follow them to help me keep my pace.

Anyone that reads this, please feel free to comment. All comments are welcomed because at least I know my posts are being read. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will cheer you all the way baby and be waiting at the finish line. You mean the world to me - seeing you succeed will be better than if I had succeeded myself.